Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Easy Homemade Birthday Present for Kids


Our friends hosted a birthday party for their son on Saturday, and this is what I made for him. Homemade play dough is the perfect, frugal children’s birthday gift. It didn’t cost me a cent!
  • I used some of McCormick’s neon food coloring, which is a fun change from the usual colors. I dyed the play dough neon green, neon blue, and green. 
  • I have 8 oz. tin containers from when I sold candles in my Etsy shop (now I just focus on my spool stands). 
  • I stacked them and tied them in a mesh bag that I got from who-knows-where (you know, one of those things that I would see sitting in my closet and think, "Why on earth am I saving this?").

Homemade Play Dough Ingredients

1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup water

1 1/2 tablespoons oil

Food coloring (I used five drops)

Homemade Play Dough Directions
  1. Mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a pot. Set aside.

  2. In a glass measuring cup, mix the water, oil, and food coloring.

  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the pot of dry ingredients. Carefully mix well until combined.

  4. Cook over medium heat while stirring for about one or two minutes. This step can go quickly, so carefully watch the mixture lest you overcook it. The dough will get clumpy, and then it will start to pull away from the sides of the pan. When this happens, it is done. 

  5. Quickly scrape the dough into a ball and remove it from the pan. Let is sit on parchment paper. It will continue to harden as it cools off. Once cool, store in an airtight container. 

    No comments:

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...